Certified bookkeeper, CB Certification, is an accounting certification by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB). The certification will add to your market value. Also, it will increase your importance to a company or to a client. Therefore, anyone who earns a bookkeeper certification is expected to have both the knowledge and the skills to perform the important accounting functions which any small business required. Finally, read about other best accounting certifications HERE.
The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB)
The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB) provides bookkeepers with job opportunities or new clients. Moreover, AIPB recognizes Bookkeeping as a profession and bookkeepers as professionals. Furthermore, they provide online bookkeepers’ forums, so you can share your knowledge and experience.
The certified bookkeeper (CB) Requirements
- Target People: A bachelor’s degree in accounting. Conversely, you can complete the education alternative by passing the following courses:
- Accounting Fundamentals.
- Accounting principles
- Payroll Fundamentals
- QuickBooks Fundamentals (Desktop) or QuickBooks online Fundamentals.
- Prerequisites: Possess one-year or equals 2000 hours of bookkeeping or accounting experience.
The certified bookkeeper Study Materials
The program is self-study and you may begin at any time you want. You have to do it online. Also, you have to take some quizzes. In addition, an online webinar is a must.
CB Certification Registration process
You can register for the certification online through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB) webiste.
CB Certification Training course details
Here are the topics you have to go through to gain this bookkeeping certification:
- Accounting: The Language of Business
- Analyzing Business Transactions
- Analyzing Business Transactions Using T Accounts
- The General Journal and the General Ledger
- Adjustments and the Worksheet
- Closing Entries and the Post-closing Trial Balance
- Accounting for Sales, Accounts Receivable, and Cash Receipts
- Accounting for Purchases, Accounts Payable, and Cash Payments
- Payroll Computations, Records, and Payment
- Payroll Taxes, Deposits, and Reports
- Accruals, Deferrals, and the Worksheet
- Financial Statements and Closing Procedures
Certified Bookkeeper Exam Details and Fees
To become a certified bookkeeper, you have to pass a test. Also, there is more than one place that you may take the exam in. Here are the major places:
- American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
- The National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers (NACPB),
- The National Bookkeepers Association (NBA.)
The Bookkeeping exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. Therefore, you need to gain 37 out of 50 to pass it.
The fees you need to pay for the test are $100 for members and $150 for nonmembers. However, if you don’t pass the test, you can retake it. Also, you need to pay 50$ for members and 75$ for nonmembers.
CB Certification Renewal
You have to renew your CB Certification annually with the institute.