RHIA certification is one of AHIMA’s that links care providers, patients and payers together in the medical system. Furthermore, it assists you to manage patient health information and related records, administering health information systems, collecting and analyzing patient data, and using classification systems and medical terminology.
The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is one of the largest healthcare institutions, founded in 1928, that offers various services aim to support the data and methods of the healthcare field. Also, AHIMA provides trainees with Online Education, Resources of knowledge, and certifications.
Moreover, RHIA certification gives you an overall knowledge of medical, administrative, ethical and legal standards related to healthcare privacy. So that, you are expected to enhance your knowledge in five areas:
- Data Content, Structure & Standards (Information Governance)
- Information Protection: Access, Disclosure, Archival, Privacy & Security
- Informatics, Analytics & Data Use
- Revenue Management
Registered Health Information Administrator- RHIA certification qualifies you to many careers in insurance companies, consulting services, government agencies, and pharmaceutical companies. Also, it is very related to the IT field.
RHIA Certification Requirements:
According to the official website of AHIMA, RHIA applicants must meet ONE of the following eligibility requirements:
- Complete the academic requirements, at the baccalaureate level, of (HIM) program accredited by the CAHIIM.
- Achieve the academic requirements, at the master’s level, of a HIM program accredited by the CAHIIM.
- Complete the academic requirements of a HIM Certificate of the Degree (Post-Baccalaureate) program approved by the CAHIIM.
- Graduate from a HIM program approved by a foreign association with which AHIMA has an interchange agreement.
- Then you should submit all necessary paperwork, including resumes, transcripts, etc.
RHIA Study Materials:
- RHIA Online Practice Exam
- LaTour, K. & Eichenwald Maki, S. Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles and Practices, Chicago: AHIMA Press
Registered Health Information Administrator Exam Details:
- Exam duration is Four hours.
- The structure of exam consists of 180 four-option, multiple-choice question examination (160 scored questions and 20 unscored pretest questions).
- Passing Score is 300 out of 400.
- Exams are administered by Pearson VUE.
- RHIA exam fee is $299 for Non-AHIMA members and $229 for AHIMA members.
RHIA Certification Renewal:
- Your certification is valid for two years.
- Then you need to recertify by earning 30 (CEUs) must be related to AHIMA’s specified HIIM domains
- Pay recertification fees 150$.