National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying ( NCEES ) is an American non-profit organization which offers many tools and resources to develop people or students who are working in the engineering and surveying field. However, NCEES matches BBB accreditation standards, that include a duty to make a good faith effort to solve any consumer complaints.
NCEES offers three exams for engineering to help them advance their knowledge: FE, PE, and SE exams. At first, these exams were just in general engineering field but later on, NCEES expand the specialists to include Chemical, Civil, Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical, and General Engineering.
Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) is one of the exams that NCEES offers to advance your expertise and knowledge. It suits engineers who have gained years of work experience in their chosen engineering discipline. It is considered as a proof of your proficiency. According to the BLS, these professionals earn an average of $84,310 per year.
The exam of PE covers many topics about Systems Definition, Analysis, and Design tools (e.g., flowcharts, Pareto charts, affinity diagrams), Facilities Engineering and Planning (Cost-benefit analysis, Site selection factors, and Site selection methods..), Supply Chain and Logistics (Storage and warehousing methods, Inventory management and control, and Forecasting methods..), Work Design, and Quality Engineering (six sigma, Deming,…). So that, you will be professional in engineering methods, tools, and strategies.
Principles and Practice of Engineering Requirements:
- Complete an EAC/ABET-accredited bachelor’s degree.
- You must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Passing the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.
- You should complete at least four years of acceptable and approved work experience in the industry.
PE Exam Study Materials:
NCEES offers materials that will help you in passing the PE exam and prepare yourself well:
PE Exam Details:
- PE exam duration is an 8-hour exam with
- The exam consists of 80 questions
- The PE exam is an open-book exam and just allows the official handbook
- The exam is computer-based at Persona VUE centers.
- Pencil-and-paper format exam offered once per year in April.
PE Exam Renewal:
- Passing the PE exams is one-time.
- Each state in the USA has unique requirements (such as continuing education and professional development hours) that professional engineers must meet to remain licensed.