Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society ( HIMSS ) is an American nonprofit organization and one of the global leaders of health transformation of health information and technology field. HIMSS incorporates nearly with more than 70,000 global individual members, over 450 non-profit organizations, and 630 corporate members. It offers education and certifications that aim to develop and qualify people who are working in the medical field. So that, it offers two international certifications:
- CAHIMS: Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems
- CPHIMS: Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems
1. Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems – CAHIMS
It is the first level that suits students or people who may have or not have enough experience in the healthcare industry. Also, it builds up your career chances in health information and technology. Furthermore, this certification strengthens your skills and knowledge that are highly wanted by stakeholders and employers in the healthcare information technology field. CAHIMS assists you to define the features of organizational and technology environments and to analyze trends that affect healthcare IT. Moreover, you will be able to describe the organizational policies and procedures.
2. Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems -CPHIMS
It is a professional certification for experienced people in healthcare information and management systems. It proves your credibility and high healthcare skills. Also, CPHIMS helps you understand the characteristics of healthcare and technology environments. Moreover, how to differentiate the roles and responsibilities of healthcare information and management systems. Also, how to define the problem or opportunities and analyze them.
HIMSS Certifications Requirements:
According to HIMSS organization, the requirements are:
HIMSS Certifications Study Materials:
According to the HIMSS website, it provides you with many free and paid resources and materials that help you to pass the exam:
- The HIMSS Competency Gap Assessment: It helps you identify and measure your personal strengths and areas for growth to support your development.
- HIMSS Dictionary of Healthcare IT Terms
- The CAHIMS Review Guide
- Health Information Technology Foundations: Free online learning curriculum conducted by Stanford University and Carnegie Mellon University
- Practice exam for the CPHIMS Examination: It is an online tool that HIMSS carats to make you familiar with the format of the CPHIMS exam.
HIMSS certifications Exams Details:
- HIMSS Exams Place: are computer-based and managed at Prometric Testing Centers.
- Exam duration is two hours.
- Exams structure are 115 multiple-choice questions (100 of which are scored).
- HIMSS score scale for both exams are from 200-800, and the passing score is 600.
- Questions are designed according to the following cognitive levels:
- Recall (RE): The ability to recall or recognize specific information
- Application (AP): The ability to comprehend, relate or apply knowledge to new or changing situations
- Analysis (AN): The ability to analyze and synthesize information, determine solutions and/or evaluate the usefulness of the solutions.
HIMSS Certifications Renewal:
Note that, Certifications are valid for 3 years and to recertify you should have to take the exam again or complete 45 CEU hours.