National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying ( NCEES ) is an American non-profit organization to offer professional licensure in the engineering field. Moreover, NCEES matches BBB accreditation standards, that include a duty to make a good faith effort to solve any consumer complaints.
NCEES develops, administers, and scores the examinations used for engineering and surveying licensure such as FE exam, PE exam, and SE exam. NCEES improved tools and resources that will help engineering to develop their skills.
At first, these exams were just in general engineering field but later on, NCEES expand the specialists to include Chemical, Civil, Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical, and General Engineering:
- The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
FE is the first step in the process of becoming a professional certified engineer from an ABET accredited program.
- The Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam
PE is designed to test the minimum level of competency in a particular engineering discipline. It suits engineers who have completed a minimum of four years of work experience in their chosen engineering discipline.
- The Structural Engineering (SE) exam
SE is prepared for engineers who practice in jurisdictions that license structural engineers. It covers material related to structural engineers and how are you ready to practice engineering of buildings and bridges
FE exam is your first step to enhance your knowledge in the engineering field. Also, you can work as an engineer in the USA or Canada by having this exam. Moreover, you need this exam to prove your expertise and to be more confident.
FE exam covers topics of mathematical such as, analysis of geometry and vector analysis. Also, the other topics include statistics and probability, computational tools, ethics, and professional practice, engineering economy, and other topics related to engineering.
FE Exam Study Materials
In order to pass the exam easily, NCEES offers many tools and resources to help you pass the exam such as,
- NCEES FE Reference Handbook: which is the only reference material to use during the exam.
- The NCEES paper print practice exams
- NCEES YouTube channel
FE Exam- NCEES Details
- All FE exam disciplines are administered via computer-based CBT at Pearson VUE test centers
- FE exam consists of 110 multiple-choice questions, and sometimes it could be drag and drop, fill in the blank, or Point and click.
- You need to have a passing score of 60% or higher, but it differs according to the exam type.
- If you can’t pass the exam, you have three attempts in a 12-month period.
- FE exam duration is 6 hours long and includes:
- A Nondisclosure agreement (2 minutes)
- Tutorial (8 minutes)
- Exam (5 hours and 20 minutes)
- Scheduled break (25 minutes)
FE Exam Renewal
- Passing the FE exam is one-time.
- Each state in the USA has unique requirements (such as continuing education and professional development hours) that professional engineers must meet to remain licensed.