Certified Food Handler is a very important credit that most of the food services facilities require. So, to become certified is something important, especially, in the food safety field. Also, the exam of it is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Food handler card is suitable for people who are working in restaurants and non-restaurants facilities, whether he is cooking, managing, or serving. Food Handler card certification is widely required in the food business field. Note that, you require to complete an approved course and pass.
By having a Food Handler certification, you will learn:
- The basics of food safety issues, regulations, strategies to maintain a food-safe environment.
- Proper food handling and its effects on food.
- Identify biohazards, foodborne illnesses, signs of food spoilage, types of food prep contamination
- Manage the proper temperature control methods.
- How to reduce risks and keep the workplace and tools clean.
Food Handler Certification is a flexible one, so you can choose the way of taking the exam or the training, whether it was online or classroom. But, you need to be attentive to the institutions, if it is accredited or not. To avoid this problem here is the list of accredited institutions, according to ANSI, that you can take the course and exam with them:
360training (lean 2serve):
It provides online food and alcohol safety training solutions for both businesses and professionals including ANSI accredited Food Handler and Food Manager programs
It develops and publishes technology-enhanced food safety training and certification programs that provide superior value to regulatory, restaurant, and hospitality communities.
National Registry of Food Safety Professionals (NRFSP)
It enhances and maintains certifications exams and programs in the food safety profession. Also, National Registry approved globally for its examinations and delivery services that meet the ethical standards and practices.
National Restaurant Association:
It is a worldwide foodservice trade association that supports restaurant businesses. Also, it represents and provides tools and systems that help get significantly better-operating results.
It is a trusted provider of technology-enabled testing and assessment solutions. Also, it provides advanced solutions test development and systems engineers and trained test center administrators to ensure the security of test delivery
Food Handler Exam Details:
The exam details differ according to the institute that you will take the exam with, but here are the general details of the Food Handler exam:
- The exam consists of 45 questions.
- Food handler exam duration is 90 minutes and may vary according to the exam provider and country.
- You must score 70% to pass the exam and become certified.
- You have two attempts within a 30 days period.
- If required third attempt, you should wait 60 days at least
- Food Handler Exam is available in English and Spanish, but in some countries, it is available in more languages.
Food Handler Renewal :
- Your certification is valid for 3 years, so you need to renew by taking the exam again.