Chartered Investment Counselor (CIC) is an internationally respected designation for professionals working as investment advisors with advanced portfolio management skills. In order to earn CIC designation, you should successfully complete and hold CFA certification. In addition, you need to prove significant investment counseling and portfolio management expertise. As part of the application, you should identify your job responsibilities in this profession including economic research and securities analysis.
The Investment Adviser Association (IAA) provides significant services and benefits to its members, including the most updated information and educational offerings. In addition, it offers CIC program to recognize interested professionals in this field as certified investment counselors. The CIC program was developed in cooperation with the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts.
You need to meet All of the following requirements, according to IAA website:
- Be an employee in a member firm of the IAA in an eligible occupational position for at least one year
- Have a minimum of five-year work experience in one or more eligible occupational positions
- Spend more than 50 percent of the time in a position involving a combination of investment counseling and portfolio management
- Submit a letter of reference from the chief executive officer, managing principal or the candidate’s senior supervisor, and three additional letters of recommendation
- Hold the Chartered Financial Analyst designation
You should submit a $100 non-refundable application fee.
CIC Certification Renewal
Submit Annual certification of employment by an IAA member firm and have not been the subject of disciplinary proceedings of any nature arising from such person’s professional conduct.