Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) is a certification presented by the American College of Sports and Medicine ACSM. It offers a wide range of theoretical and practical knowledge and experiences in the fitness industry. In addition, CPTs by ACSM are highly qualified to work in facilities such as fitness centers, gyms, health clubs, and public fitness centers. They are also qualified to customize training and workout programs as well as nutritional plans on both levels: the professional one and the amateur.
American College of Sports and Medicine (ACSM)
The American College of Sports and Medicine (ACSM) is an American body that represents 70 occupations in the Sport medicine field. ACSM provides educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine through advancing and integrating scientific research. Moreover, ACSM offers a comprehensive and detailed overview of their services through well-studied and constantly-developed programs. Furthermore, the American College of Sports and Medicine hosts over 50,000 members and certified professionals from 90 countries.
In order to register for the certification, you need to fulfill the following criteria:
- To be 18 years of age or older
- You need to have a high school diploma or equivalent
- To be holding a CPR or AED certification.
CPT Study Material
There are different ways to prepare for the exam
- Workshops and Webinars
- PrepU quiz platform
You can register for the certification online through ACSM’s website.
The CPT exam tests your knowledge in 4 main domains:
- Initial Client Consultation and Assessment 25%
- Exercise Programming and Implementation 45%
- Exercise Leadership and Client Education 20%
- Legal and Professional Responsibilities 10%
Exam Location: Pearson VUE testing centers
Exam Duration: 165 minutes
Exam Format: 150 multiple choice questions, 120 scored and 30 non-scored.
|Study Materials Fees||Fees|
|Resources for the Personal Trainer textbook||$77.99|
|Guidelines for Exercise Testing & Prescription||$48.99|
CPT Certification Renewal
ACSM Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) certification is valid for 3 years, after that, you need to renew your certification. You have 2 options for certification renewal:
- Option 1:
- Meet the CEC, CME, CEU requirements (15-60 credentials)
- Maintain Current CPR Certification
- Pay the required certification fee.
- Option 2: Retake the certification exam.