Board Certified Specialist Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM) is awarded by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). CSOWM Certification is granted in recognition of an applicant’s documented practice experience and successful completion of an examination in the specialty area. In addition, CSOWM certification helps applicants to practice their experience in the healthcare and nutrition field. Further, it guides you to eat with knowledge of what you eat. Also, it prepares you to be a professional practitioner in diets, body positivity and forming a healthy relationship with food.
The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
The Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), the credentialing agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, established in 1917 in Cleveland, Ohio. Moreover, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics represents over 100,000 credentialed practitioners such as dietitian nutritionists, dietetic technicians, registered, and other dietetics professionals.
CSOWM Certification Requirements
In order to register for the certification, you must have a current valid certification at least in one of the following:
- APRNs (NPs or CNSs from AANPCB, ANCC, NCC, or PCNB),
- Exercise Physiologists (ACSM-CEP, ACSM-RCEP, ACSM-EP),
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist,
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker,
- Licensed Physical Therapist,
- PA-Cs (NCCPA), or
- Registered Dietitians (CDR).
Pay attention, you will be asked to provide a Documentation of 2,000 hours of specialty practice experience in obesity and weight management while holding one of the above-mentioned credentials within the past five years by the time of application.
CSOWM Certification Study Materials
CDR will not be developing a study resource; however, CDR will prepare a candidate handbook including the content outline, a reference list, and sample questions.
Check out the following study material online:
CSOWM Registration Process
- To apply for the CSOWM examination online, log in to your ‘MyCDR’ page and click on “Apply for Obesity and weight management” Certification.
- To apply for the CSOWM examination you need to be credentialed by CDR or a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
CSOWM Exam Details
The Board Certification as a Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM) examination will be administered in July 2019, specifically on a computer from Monday to Friday during normal business hours.
- Examination Fee: $350
- Examination Fee when sitting for the exam in Canada or Puerto Rico: $475
- Fee when sitting for the exam in other available international locations: $500
CSOWM Certification Renewal
To recertify your CSOWM Certification you need to re-examination and fulfill the following:
- Successfully complete an eligibility application – including the required minimum number of specialty practice hours
- Submit an application fee: $350
- Successfully complete a specialty examination