Accredited Legal Professional certification (ALP) aims to demonstrate your qualifications and skills in the legal field. ALP is designed to legal secretaries in order to measure their abilities in performing business communication tasks and gauges their ability in maintaining office records and calendars. In addition, it measures legal secretaries’ understanding of office equipment, computer technology, and related procedures. Moreover, Accredited Legal Professional assesses knowledge of law office protocol as established by ethical codes.
The Association for Legal Professionals (NALS)
The Association for Legal Professionals was first founded in 1929 in the United States. NALS’ main objective is to improve the career status of legal secretaries in terms of engagement, inspiration, enhancement, and promotion. Moreover, NALS aims to provide legal secretaries with the expertise and information they need to stay updated with the changing job descriptions and tasks they encounter. Consequently, NALS offers a range of programs and certifications to fulfill this purpose.
Accredited Legal Professional Requirements
In order to be certified for the exam, you need to fulfill ONE of the following:
- Completion of an accredited business/legal course.
- Completion of a NALS Legal Training Course.
- One year of general office experience.
Accredited Legal Professional Study Material
NALS lists the names of the books needed for the exam on their website. Also, it offers the study material exclusively to their members.
ALP exam can be taken paper-based or online.
- You can register for the paper-based exam by contacting NALS asking for a membership application.
- You can register for the online exam through NALS’ website, appendix ‘ALP Exam Sessions’.
Accredited Legal Professional Details
Exam Details: ALP exam consists of 3 parts
- The Law Firm: Legal Procedures and Knowledge
- Legal Ethics and Authority
Note: you must take the three parts of the exam consecutively. In case of failure, you can retake the failed parts only.
Duration: 225 minutes
- Online exams are taken through RP Now online platform.
- Paper-based exam location is attached to your application information.
- Full-Time Student: $75 USD
- NALS member: $100 USD
- Non-member: $125 USD
- Military: $75 USD
- Proctoring Fess (online only): $45 USD
- Recertification: $75 USD
After successfully passing the test, you will receive a certification that is valid for 5 years. You can renew your certification by collecting 50 points in Continuing Legal Education (CLE). For more information about how to collect CLE points, please visit NALS’ website.